Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Balance

My friend Liz (mother of 5, doctor husband in Iraq, super ballerina,
pretty much perfect in every way) has exceptional balance.

My dear friend and semi-weekly torturer, Cheryl, wants me to have better balance. If you are getting older, or if you have had a baby, you have lost some balance. Some of my readers (Liz, Jen, Kym, Michelle, Rachael, Debbie and Paula) have great balance because they run around the neighborhood on their tiptoes (without grunting) as I lumber slowly down the sidewalk. They run (races) and do yoga - so they can just log off right now. But for the rest of us, here is some good advice from Cheryl:

To increase balance stand on one foot every time you brush your teeth. I stand on my right foot while I do the bottom teeth and the left foot while I do the top teeth. Dentists tell us to brush for 2 minutes (I only brush for 1 minute- oops) so that is 1 minute on each foot. You will notice improvement after only 2 days.

Do a little test before you start this. Close your eyes and see how long you can stand on one foot. Don't be surprised if it is not very long. Then repeat this test after a few weeks of one legged toothbrushing.

The first time I did this my entire leg heated up as the muscles started working.

Side note: I am a major klutz. I use to walk into walls and trip a lot - no more since my visits with Cheryl and my one-legged-brushing sessions.

12 comments:

Liz said...

I like the standing on one foot while brushing your teeth idea. I like to do that while I do dishes. (A habit I formed as an impressionable young dancer.) Now if I can just get you to come to my class! Robin, to be honest, you are one of the most balanced people I know. I really look up to you. You are an exceptional woman!

Jen and Kent said...

You lead a very balanced life! Thanks for being a wonderful example! My family will tell you what a klutz I am (I fall regularly). I'll have to give this new way of brushing my teeth a chance!

Paige said...

I find this interested. Because you are right, I am much less balanced (in many ways) since I had kids. I also get nauseated/carsick so much more easily. I'm sure this all has to do with the inner ear but no idea how these darn kids got to my ear too. Great idea with the balance. My toothbrush times me so my balance will be fantastic soon with your advice. Please post more.

I also hope to pose beautifully by the river in an ethereal white dress once I'm done brushing my teeth.

Sally said...

I'm with Paige, please post more!

I just did this while reading blogs--I stood up and balanced on one leg at a time. It really did get my muscles working and I am surprised at how weak my balancing skills are.

Joe said...

Also, walking around with a really long pole in both hands helps a bunch.

Anonymous said...

wow, what a refreshing post idea. and a gorgeous picture of your friend, Liz (5 kids??!!). thanks for the tips! I totally noticed my balance (and core strength) go downhill after kiddos.

Emily said...

YOU are coming to yoga with ME! So make sure to bring some loose fitting pants and shirt. Barefeet. You are going to shock Cheryl with your great balance when you get home.

Melissa said...

I want to look like Liz. I am remarkably clumsy. It is bad.

Yesterday I was at the playground with my kids and So wanted to try a cherry drop. But, I knew that my kids teachers would peek out the window and watch me break my neck. So I didn't. But I might go back when no one is looking.

Anonymous said...

ouch!!!!! Careful girl - you just might get hurt and have to have all of come over, bring you treats, watch movies and make sure you're ok while you relax and get better :):)

Linsey said...

This reminded of a game show from Finland that was sort of a Wheel of Fortune/Let's Make a Deal/Obstacle Course thing and the final challenge was for all the contestants to close their eyes and stand on one foot. Amazingly, in seconds, everyone lost their balance and the victor emerged.

I have pretty good balance, but it is getting worse with age. I'm going to try the teeth-brushing thing too and see what happens.

diane said...

I have lost my balance. One of the reasons I fell down the stairs. The one foot thing has been part of my rehab.

The joys of aging...

Anonymous said...

I have a hard enough time standing on both feeth...I prefer sitting to brush my teeth! And because I sound so lame, I'm not going to sign my name! (oh wow...that rhymed) :D