The Pennies for Peace program was started 12 years ago by Greg Mortenson who after a failed attempt to climb K2 in Pakistan recovered in a small village and promised to build a school for the girls in that village. Since then he has built more than 55 schools. He wrote the book “Three Cups of Tea”. My sister Emily is reading it with her book club and she says there are amazing stories in the book.
Mortenson focused on the girls education knowing that they would be the ones to teach children and instill the value of education. Before the schools, children were illiterate and using sticks to scratch in the dirt. His timing was inspired as the schools were being built before the Taliban came in with their schools.I am impressed by this organization’s ability to put a high percentage of their funds towards the schools rather than administrative costs. But mostly I am impressed at the impact this has on Ike’s 5th grade class. They have learned about another culture, vastly different than ours, and have learned to care what happens to the 5th graders in
They will be collecting pennies all through May. I'll let you know how much their total donation is.
6 comments:
Good job guys - that's so neat! Every year, Boise State has a "freshman read" program, and Three Cups of Tea is next year's book. I've definitely added it to my reading list!
Go get this book now. It is probably one of the most ispiring reads I've ever read--and I'm an avid reader. I wish this were our university's freshman read.
If you order the book from the threecupsoftea.com website (a link to amazon.com) 7% of the proceeds will go to the CAI (the program that builds the schools).
The thing about this book is that the stories stay with me all day long. I keep thinking about it. I look at my daughter and feel so filled with emotion and gratitude at the future she has available to her.
Have I convinced you yet? GO GET THIS BOOK NOW!
Does your child need something to do to feel bouyed up and happy? Help start Pennies for Peace at your child's school--just check out the website to find out how.
That's one thing I have really thought was beneficial for my kids about living overseas. They have met so many people from other countries and have been involved in fund raisers for kids in Africa, an orphanage in Thailand that the school sponsors, and a water drinking fund raiser (we sponsor them so much per day they don't drink soda or junk, just water and milk) for safe water in 3rd world countries. It's amazing how much their horizons have broadened! Julie
I swear I left a comment Robin! I know I did!!!
anyway, This is wonderful and I am so impressed! I am going to find the book and read it. :)
I read These is My Words last week and LOVED it.
--Melissa
I read this book 2 months ago & we reviewed it in bookclub this month. It was amazing. I downloaded it to my sansa view player & Alan has listened to about 1/2 of it. Way to go Isaac's class!
I am going to go buy the book ASAP. I really want to read it.
Post a Comment