Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's All Fun And Games, Until Someone Gets Poked In The Eye.


Roland is extremely myopic (near sighted). Because of this his retina is very thin. As you remember from your anatomy class, the retina is attached to the wall of your eye and is what allows you to see, very similar to film in your camera, it receives pictures for your brain to read. For more on the function of a retina go here. When you have a thin retina it can be damaged easily.

Roland is probably too competitive. This can cause problems, like a detached retina. This summer, during an aggressive game of water polo with the nephews, he was hit in the face with a wet noodle, a pool noodle, causing his retina to tear and eventually detach. Detached retinas cause complete blindness. It's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye.
So, my handsome husband had to have surgery on Friday for what we thought we had already fixed.

Surgery for retinal detachment is extreme surgery. The doctor refused to tell me the process because it freaks out some of his patients - he told us he would give details after Roland is discharged. We already know what it is like because Roland had this same surgery when he was about 27. It is gory and I will spare you the details in case you are eating right now. But it involves draining the eye, fixing the tear, putting gas into your eye, and wrapping the eye with a Scleral Buckle. The buckle will never be removed. He already has one on his left eye.

In order to regain his eyesight Roland must maintain a position with his head face down, parallel to the ground. Chin on chest. For 2 weeks.

He has to do this to keep the gas bubble against the back of his eye as the eye refills with gel and liquid.Holding your head in the right position is a pain in the arse.

More on that later.

9 comments:

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Sounds so painful! Both for the eye and for you and he while it heals. Where would we be without the technology to fix it?
I would loved to have seen you when you were in Boise, but I know how thin you are already spread when you visit and so I am happy that we have blogs and email to keep in touch. Your cabin visit looked heavenly from your posts. Good for you! Where does Hannah live? I heard she's in Boise. Good luck to Roland!

R A C H A E L said...

Yikes. Sorry! That is awful. And you are such a wonderful woman for taking care of him! Hope he continues to heal!

Salt H2O said...

That is NO FUN. I hope everything goes ok!

Sally said...

Ouch. Poor Roland. So it will be two weeks?

I really like these illustrations you used to show the eye. I can't believe Roland has a buckle on each eye. There should be some kind of funny pun I could make but I can't think of one. Yet.

I bet Roland has got the look of his chest and stomach pretty well memorized by now.

Anonymous said...

We heard about Roland and were deeply concerned...how could he not be recovering so beautifully if it were not for his lovely Florence Nightengale by his side!? Please let Roland know of our love and prayers for him! Thanks for the detailed explanation...it definetely makes us appreciate the precious sight we take for granted every day!
We loved spending time w/ guys while you were here! (especially Cam)
Not anonymous...just the Friendly Floyd's!!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I needed more info.

The human body is so amazing and what doctors can do is equally amazing.

Just keep Prayin' Just keep Prayin'.

(sorry, we've been watching too much Nemo.)

Anonymous said...

i love you - you're in our prayers!

Paige said...

Poor him. Poor, poor you. Talk about a neck cramp.

Liz said...

Oh, Robin, I had no idea! I wondered where Roland was on Sunday. Wow...I am so sorry. That's sounds horrible. Now I feel kinda silly to talk about the class on Super Saturday, but in answer to your question it starts at 9:45, and I am totally psyched that you will be a part of it! Love you and give Roland mine and Adam's best.