Saturday, August 2, 2008

Warning: Gross Picture

Roland is a doer. He does 3 things at a time: driving, eating and talking on cell phone. Or, watching a video, texting, and writing a proposal for a client. Or, BBQ-ing, ATV-ing, and playing DJ with his James Taylor collection. He isn't very good at holding still or waiting.

Holding still and waiting is what the Doctor (who has a horrible bedside manner but is crazy smart) said Roland must do. He has to hold still with his face down, facing the floor, tilted just a little to the right. He has to wait, while doing this, for 2 weeks. We are just a little past the 1 first week.

Ike is my model because Roland, for some reason, wasn't being co-operative. This is how you maintain the head down position:
Head down on TV tray. Notice the mirror under the tray?


The mirror is how Roland watches TV. Sure, its upside down but he doesn't mind. He is mostly a news guy. The Colbert Report makes him laugh the most. And he needs to laugh.


Once in a while he needs a change of pace. Lauritzens let us use their massage table (thanks!) and the kids love it. They use it more than Roland does.


The Love Sac in the basement is nice too. We have a cheap "home theater" set up down there and Roland has figured out that he can sit on the couch with his head down and watch the movies in the reflection of the glass top coffee table.

He sleeps with about 5 pillows to keep his head in the right position and he drinks through a straw to keep his head down. He allowed to go out of position about 2 hours a day. Those are his favorite 2 hours.

He is worried that I am blogging about him too much. I told him that if people are bored with the blog, they can stop reading. Right? Are you still reading? Well, if you are I must warn you about this next picture. I took it yesterday - this is the best his eye has looked - to show Roland what his eye looks like. I didn't want him to see it a few days ago - so gross.

He loved the picture. He thinks the eye booger is the best part. He insisted that I blog it. I said, "No. It is too gross and my tender readers might be eating something and get sick!" He insisted again. So you have been warned. Please don't look at it if you don't like gross things. Stop now. Once you see it you can never un-see it.

Also, he pointed out how nice his fingernails look. He is well groomed.

Our prescription pain pills run out today. Oh dear.

11 comments:

Julie said...

I'm still reading and I'm not grossed out! It sounds like a huge ordeal for both of you! It can be just as hard taking care of someone sick as being sick sometimes. (or at least it feels that way)Thanks for the update. Tell Roland we are praying for him and your family.

Melissa said...

That picture literally made my eyes water and I instinctively rubbed them. I'm so sorry for him! I hope the next week rushes right along.

Ike is sure a cute kid. He makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

cool picture! i'll have to show clark - he loves that kind of stuff! we love you roland

jenn and flay said...

Whatever else you do, don't let the scrip on the pain pills run out! It's amazing what you can tolerate with good drugs. 9 surgeries and 2 babies later I am a big believer in good pain management. That picture is nasty in a "can't turn my head away from the train wreck" sort of way.

Paige said...

The picture ain't so bad. but I don't understand how he wasn't being cooperative if his head was down and he can't get up. Talk about a sitting duck! Just stay out of arm's reach and snap away.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I wonder how many other people besides myself scrolled to the bottom of the article looking for the gross picture before reading. It's not gross.

Two clever ways to watch tv. Too bad you're not in Boise near mom's 1 year supply pharmacopeia.

Hannah said...

Poor guy! It made my eyes water too!

Anonymous said...

Glad you decided to put the pix of the eye on the blog...I knew it couldn't be any worse than what we already had imagined!...Roland is an amazingly, driven, focused person...we know he will make it through this...if anyone can...he can!! (especially w/ Florence Nightngale by his side) Give him our love!
The Floyd's

Anonymous said...

It was interesting to read more about the eye surgery and the intense recovery. I love the creative ways to endure! Pretty smart you are. We hope all is going well. Take care.
Robin - it was a very nice surprise to run into you at the Twin Falls Temple Open House.I agree, it is a very, very pretty temple.

R A C H A E L said...

Its not that bad. Still gross, but the well groomed nails blanace out the ewww factor... Hopefully this ends soon!

Celia Fae said...

Dear Robin,

This is going to be a comment/letter. First of all, I've been following Roland's eyeventures with interest and horror. I can't believe a wet noodle can do so much damage.

My husband has never been injured but he has been mansick, and it isn't pretty. I am amazed at your patience and your ability to not feel sorry for yourself being stucki with a grumpy man all day. I want to be you when I grow up.

Finally, the thing with Ike and the Barbie binder is so funny. At least he's hetero.

Celia