Thursday, April 10, 2008

Science Fair

How is it that I have raised 3 kids without a single science fair project? Pure luck or righteous living?

Ike (child #4) and I had our first science fair. Ike did it (with a hard sell from me) on the thrilling topic of Stain Removal! Yay for Stain Removal! After going to the science fair I now know that we should have done it on something that either flies, explodes, or dies. Stain Removal only got the moms over to his booth.

The shirts used for his experiment were stained. (Clockwise from upper left: blueberries, mud from Garden of the Gods, grease from car brakes, and ketchup).The judges were science cadets from The Air Force Academy. I am so impressed by the cadets and will do a future post on how rockin awesome they are.

He did an experiment to see if the sun removes stains as well as bleach (the answer is: yes, for the most part). Pretty exciting and cutting edge hu? Maybe if dad were in town more (always blame the dad) we could have built a dam that generates electricity and lights up a Christmas village (the winning entry).Jens, Ike, Austin - fellow scientists.

MONEY SAVING TIP FOR MOMS WITH BABIES:
Ike's buddy, Brody, did an experiment and found that Target brand diapers are the best value as far as cost and absorbency.

6 comments:

Robin said...

I think Liz and Paula (my "smart people" will probably blog about this too.

Paige said...

Agreed- always blame the dads. I'm sure Ike's was horrified that he had to do one on such a "mom" thing. I'm just hoping I don't get some horrid ketchup stains like the ones left on those shirts.

Sally said...

Ike looks so cute in all of these pictures! He has grown up in the past 5 months.

I think your choice of subject for the science fair was excellent and if you are going to spend a lot of time and effort on a project like this, you might as well learn something really practical in the process. When Ike is on his mission to timbuktu and he gets ketchup on his white shirt, and there is no bleach around, he'll know what to do. All the other missionaries will admire him for his skill-removal prowess and his future wife will adore him because he will have something to say when she says "the kids are ruining all their clothes with stains".

Good job. I say Ike wins the fair.

Emily said...

Yay for Ike! I did a science fair in 6th grade. Dad helped me make(read: dad made) a "water clock" just like the ancient civilizations! It was actually pretty cool because it told fairly accurate time, just by having water drip from one jug to another. It won a prize and was on display at the Discovery center in Boise.

I always felt surprised by that, because I thought it was sort of boring. But I was proud it won a prize.

So, I was wondering--did you try any stain remover sticks? Spray? Oxy Clean?

And I also want to know what brands of diapers were included in Brody's test--did they include Costco? Kroger (Smith's) delux brand (not their basic)? Too bad we don't have a Target!

Liz said...

Hey Robin, done with the blog! Jeez, the pressure.... Anyway, great job on the project! Ike may actually use this useful information when he serves a mission in some remote part of the world, with no bleach to be found. While Jens will be bouncing microwaved bouncy balls in Indiana to entertain primary children. I am glad we both had such foresight.

Robin said...

Jolly - to be scientific we just studied bleach vs. sun. Keep it simple.

Brody tested huggies, luvs, pampers and target house brand. Pampers were the best for absorbency but more expensive and Target was almost as good as pampers in absorbency but much cheaper. Drive to colorado springs and buy target diapers, think of the money you will save!

Liz- so glad to see that the first post isn't that poor torn up couch. Jens is cool. Maybe they will be missionary companions and with their amazing science skills they will dominate!