Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Part Where We Get Away

Sunday morning found Roland and me, in a post Halloween sugar coma, on a jet plane to Boise. We zipped up to the cabin where we mostly marveled at how beautiful it was and walked along the river. I made chicken soup and we sat in the sun and read (One Thousand Splendid Suns - whoa what a book!).

Monday started with an argument. Roland says that apple crisp is a dessert but I say it is breakfast cake. You can pass it off as FHE dessert if you serve it with ice cream but otherwise apple crisp is breakfast food. Roland refused to eat it until it came out of the oven all bubbly and crisp at 7:30 AM.

Roland finished a few winterizing tasks and fixed lots of stuff while I mowed the lawn. We stacked some wood and checked out my Septic Field Wild Flower Garden. Finally, when we were sure the coast was clear, Roland mowed the island. Now, this is dangerous. The cabin is on a scenic waterway and you are not supposed to mess with the river. But if we let those shrubs grow we can't see or hear the river. Roland is a daredevil, he took the law into his own hands and drove the "tractor" out to the island and mowed down all the shrubs and bushes. And a few rocks.Its always sad when it is time to leave the cabin. Why, oh why, don't we just live there for crying out loud? We left early Tuesday morning to head back to Boise. A large fox greeted us at the car and looked like it wanted to come over and smell (bite) us. Roland tried to make it leave, but it wasn't scared (can you say "rabies"?) finally it sauntered off and and we jumped in the car.

I was doing an employee opinion survey for a client in Boise and Roland helped me with the interview portion of their survey. It's fun to work with Roland, he makes everything into a competition. When the work was all done we stopped by BSU to get a sweatshirt for Ike and then off to the airport where I headed back to Colorado and Roland took the red eye to Miami.

This morning, over his Cream of Wheat, Noah told me that he and Ike did fine while we were gone and they really don't need parents - at all. I looked around the kitchen, strewn with frozen food boxes, halloween candy wrappers, bowls and glasses, spilled cold cereal and 2 empty milk jugs and thought, Oh yes, you do!
.....................

Settle the argument, Apple Crisp: Breakfast or Dessert?


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

it can be for breakfast. it is like having oatmeal for breakfast but with more apples than oatmeal. plus so much tastier.

Diana said...

i've never really considered this question before but if I eat left over pecan pie for my annual day after thanksgiving breakfast (which I'm really looking forward to by the way.) then i'm sure apple crisp, being much more nutrient rich than pecan pie can pass for breakfast anytime!

Saquel25 said...

In England we don't generally do sweet for breakfast. The sweetest thing I ate growing up would have been sugar on my porridge (plain oatmeal). Because of that I usually can't do sweet for breakfast unless I'm depressed and then I feel sick afterwards which doesn't make me feel any better. But as far as my attitude as to whether people should or shouldn't, I'm easy.

davers said...

Okay ... so I'm officially jealous, and on so many levels I wouldn't know where to start.

You guys are awesome though and deserve that awesome place in the mountains.

ps - All deserts double as acceptable breakfast foods, but then so does cold pizza.

Robin said...

Dave, this is not meant to make you feel jealous, but to remind me, in a week when I am stuck in a blizzard with grumpy board teenagers, that I did have fun...once.

diane said...

Since it contains fruit it is totally a breakfast food.

Sally said...

Breakfast. You are so right.

I love that cabin, it is such a beautiful place.

Annie said...

Totally a breakfast: fruit and, if you squint, the sugar/butter topping could be granola.

Kerren said...

Since I started off this morning with a slice of Bruce's pumpkin pie(made for dinner last night,)I'm for sure on board for Apple Crisp as a breakfast item -- and lunch -- and dinner -- and dessert, of course. It would need warm cream in the morning and otherwise, cold vanilla ice cream. How delicious!

Jake said...

Dessert and breakfast!

Annie said...

p.s. Robin, I'm going to take you up on your recipe offer. Would it be inappropriate to ask for *all* of the ones you mentioned? Thanks so much!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i have this debate over pie. i mean, really, it's mostly the same as a danish or a pastry. right? if you can consider danish or pastry a breakfast food, then frankly, any dessert counts. hello, chocolate chip muffins? they are still cupcakes. please. who are we trying to fool?

Kimberly said...

I love the island at the cabin! So I think apple crisp can definitely be a breakfast food. I ate a piece of chocolate satin pie for breakfast on Monday...

Annie said...

sorry, third comment. I forgot to leave my email:
basic.annie@gmail.com

Jen and Kent said...

Certainly if a donut can be for breakfast than why not apple crisp? I think it is a fabulous idea! Could I have a slice for breakfast with a nice cold diet coke or would I have to have it with milk? Ü

Cumorah said...

I am an "eat dessert first - and work out later" type of girl, so I am all for apple crisp as breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, or dessert if you can wait that long!

Kim said...

I think if you are the mom, it is breakfast. If you are the kid, well then you'll just have to wait for dessert. Does that sound cruel? Well I find myself telling my kids they can only eat 2 Halloween treats, while I have happily eaten 5 already. Doublestandard? Absolutely.

davers said...

Let me re-emphasize where I said "great place ... you guys deserve it".
;)

I'm glad you have a place like that to go to and can remind yourself of it. I'd definitely do the same.

Anonymous said...

Well, with all the sugar content even cold cereal has I say, why not apple crisp for breakfast? But it's really a dessert.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal