Monday, June 22, 2009

Empire Events

I'm looking at the river and watching Roland as he revs up the lawn tractor, hauls out the patio chairs, tests the propane tank, inspects the firewood supply, searches for wasp nests, fixes the snow damaged deck, and generally plays rancher/land baron on our acre of heaven.

Ike is on page 487 of Volume I of the Complete Far Side collection. Occasionally he will ask a question like, "What is "carrion?" or "What is "malaria?". The Far Side is educational and entertaining. Noah slept until noon, trying to catch up on the sleep he missed at camp. His plans for the day include more sleep, composing a bit, walking the island, cold cereal and reading.

Hannah called in a panic because she couldn't work out her schedule at BYU, Calculus is a *itch. When I called back 20 minutes later (with helpful advice to get on Adderall) she had already fixed all her problems and was calm and grown up. Gabe is leaving work for a week of touring the East Coast - he added a comedy routine to his bit. He does a good job of making us laugh - so I think he will do well.

It smells like vanilla pine outside.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it a sin to envy your life just a little bit?

Melissa said...

Our company is gone and we are ready for more... how long is he touring? We need him to come and PLAY! I listened to a very long schpeel from some door to door kid the other day because I'm hoping people are being nice to him. :)

the wrath of khandrea said...

i love how you are sitting there doing *NOTHING* while your husband works his tail off.

it makes for increased nostalgia in your writing.

Emily said...

I would love to be at the cabin with you right now. Oh yeah, I would LOVE that.

Jenibelle said...

And all is alright with the world. Amen.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I love thewrathof khaandrea's comment.