It's weird. Or maybe I am just weird. I never really thought my kids would grow up. But they did. Fast.
Hannah and Gabe flew home (from our old home in Boise) for Thanksgiving. When they first got here they were rock stars. They strutted around the house telling people what to do and we did it. We hung on their every word, we laughed at their jokes, we let them eat in front of the TV, and didn't make them unload the dishwasher.
It seems that most Holiday movies show the family gathering from the kid's point of view. Thats how I have always seen it too. But this time, I had a real parent point of view. My emotions swung from pride and joy, to fighting off an overwhelming need to lecture. Oh man, can I ever give a lecture, sometimes they are so good they even bring me to tears. If you ever need a good lecture just let me know. Roland's are even better - they last FOREVER.
But, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, we didn't lecture. Well, at least we don't think we lectured - I'm sure Hannah and Gabe have differing opinions on that. But we did have a lot of fun.
One of the highlights of the holiday was serving food at the Springs Rescue Mission. Watching my kids help people who need a pat on the back and a good meal was very rewarding. And later when we went around the Thanksgiving table expressing our gratitude, they said that they were grateful to be able to eat dinner with a family that can provide for them, in a clean safe home. They got it.
8 comments:
Great post!
You can lecture me anytime! I would love it. I need someone who knows what I should be doing to boss me around.
It is cool that you went to the rescue mission. What a great idea. You are a good mom.
Oooh, that was a hard phase, glad I wasn't in it very long, but sad to know I'll be there again on the other side.
What a gorgeous table you decorated. I love home cooked meals where effort has been put into the meal. You obviously did that for your family. Beautiful!
I love when they get it. It's so rewarding.
I remember serving at the Rescue Mission with Michael in a baby carrier on my back.
You and Roland are good parents. Hug your kids for us, we miss them all.
I was thinking this year that I wish I had organized a trip to the soup kitchen to serve food. I think I will try to put something together before the end of the year. I need to do more service!
Wow, your thanksgiving table looked BEAUTIFUL...right out of a magazine (a really fancy magazine)! What an awesome family you have too!
I love your lectures. Seriously.
Post a Comment