Monday, October 20, 2008

Pie Time

It's pie time. While in Ohio we went to a farmer's market where we bought a big bag of Johnagold apples (those were Grandpa Steimle's favorite).
On Thursday evening after a big yummy dinner Joe started whining for a treat. So, I whipped up this pie.

Apples (peeled, sliced, and cored by Joe)
Cinnamon
Sugar
Flour (about 1/2 - 1 T per apple)
Pillsbury Pie Crust

Pile apples way too high in the pan. Brush egg white on top crust and sprinkle with sugar (liberally). Bake at 350 until apple juice is bubbling out of the pie.With flash.

Without flash.

Serve warm. Also very good for breakfast the next day and better for you than bacon and doughnuts.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

I want a visit from Aunt Robin!

KK made us Smores bars though. Chocolate might trump Apples. maybe.

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than apple pie! YUM

Nancy said...

That looks soooooo good! I'm in charge of Thanksgiving dinner this year, and that's on the menu now!

Anonymous said...

that is the biggest pie i have ever seen - I bet it is yummmmmmmmmmyyyyyyy!!!!!

R A C H A E L said...

To quote Rachel Ray, "YUMMO!!"

I am in the mood to bake today. Maybe this will fit the bill...

Jenibelle said...

Oh boyoboyoboy!! Yummy. I was a little concerned when you said you whipped up a pie, pie crusts and I don't get along. Thanks for permission to use Pillsbury!

Berly said...

YUM!! I love apple pie and that looks sooooo goood.

Joe said...

Just gotta say that was good pie. I know because I ate most of it myself.

diane said...

I want that for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Jake said...

Wow. That looks so good...will try.

Emily said...

Yay for Aunt Robin's visit!

This was delicious--and Robin and I agreed that the key is: just keep adding the apples until you think they're going to slide off the top--then add just a few more. ;-) It makes the pie look so impressive.

You can use the top crust to "seal" them in and hold them in place. I think next time I make this, I will brush the crust with water instead, and sprinkle on a bunch of white sugar--the one at the cafe that inspired this had lots of sugar dusted on top.

FALL TIME = APPLE TIME!