Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Quotes

My favorite quote from WC is actually not from this WC but from Time Out for Women last fall:

Mary Ellen Edmunds:
"The more I focus on what I do have than what I don't have - the less crabby I feel."Me and Mary Ellen.

I pretty much try to keep things light and enjoyable on this blog. But about 6 months ago our family was really under stress. Before you all rush over here with casseroles and fudge - things are fine now (please don't bring fudge - I am trying to do South Beach). Last month I was in a gift shop in Boulder and saw a quote on a magnet that completely rang true for me. I am cheap and didn't want to spend $4.95 on a simple magnet. We drove home and I was filled with regret. I should have bought that magnet! Darn it!

I thought about that quote over and over. It sustained me. Silly. Just words - simple words - on a white magnet. I could type them up myself and tape them on the fridge for 1 cent.

Well, during WC we skipped over to Thanksgiving Point.

Surely they make a profit off of what I spend there.

And there was my magnet! It was $5.99. I bought it right away. I slapped it on the fridge first thing when I got home. In a few months it will be covered with smudges, wedding invitations, permission slips, and school pictures, but right now it reminds me to calm down and trust the Lord. Things will be fine in the end.

13 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love the quote on the magnet... I'm headed down to Utah here in a few weeks and I think I might have to pick a magnet up for myself!

Nancy said...

I love the quote too! I think I'll head to Thanksgiving Point myself to get me one!

Jessica said...

Robin.... hey is me Jessica Jensen I don't know if you remember who I am... but I in the 15th ward when we went to stake girls camp.. Anyhow I was on Kim's blog and saw you so I thought i would stop in and say hi!... hope everything is going well in Colorado and i do have to say that I miss delivering papers to your well manicured yard... Have a good day!

Berly said...

I love that quote-thanks Robin!! I think I will have to go to Women's Conference some time. You just seem so happy!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your quote. You Smith's have good attitudes.

Anonymous said...

can't believe how much I believe in this quote!!!!! LOVE IT!

Hannah said...

That quote is so funny! I love it!

Celia Fae said...

No fudge, huh? Not even just a little? Funny, no one brings me fudge when I'm sad. I should advertise more.

I'd love to set up my brother but he is kind of a butt. Don't quote me. You know how some guys are medium cute but they overestimate their attractiveness? Well, that's him. I couldn't torture your daughter with it. Bummer, though, cause then we could be related for real.

John and Danielle said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time at WC! I am so jealous you got hear Mary Ellen Edmunds! I love "Grin and share it"! I so miss watching you tell all these stories, don't get me wrong, they are all still totally hillarious, but the way you tell a story is such a gift!

John and Danielle said...

BTW- tell Roland, John started a blog, (not even kidding!) maybe he should jump on the bandwagon!

Emily said...

Good quote.

I love H's new hair! CUTE. I love the photos--especially of L. Wish I could've been there!

The Harwood Family said...

Hey Robin, it's Jessica Yeggy. I found your blog too...you're so popular! Here's ours : www.harwoodfam.blogspot.com. It's been a while, hasn't it! Your kids are so big!

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Robin,
Love your blog! Life in Colorado is treating you great I can tell. But we still miss you sooooo much here in Boise.
Visit my blog at http://gordonjuliebird.blogspot.com/
Julie Bird