Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cheryl

This is Cheryl.


She is my personal trainer. For the last 6 months I have been going to her house, 2 days a week, for torture sessions she calls “personal training”. It usually goes like this:

6:10 AM I leave my house with a sense of dread. I know how difficult this will be.

6:15 I go in her beautifully decorated house and get mauled by 2 enormous dogs that apparently get no love or attention so they demand it from me.

6:20 I warm up on the elliptical machine or trampoline.

6:30 We start the hard stuff. She sits primly on her wicker love seat and orders me to do pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups, burpees, mountains and all these horrible exercises that she gives cute little names like: “reverse squat lunges with double triceps dips”.

6:35 I start to complain. We do countless reps in endless sets and I get confused and grouchy and accuse her of losing count.

6:40 Cheryl starts cheering. “Good Job!” she chirps as I tremble and wobble and grunt. “Doesn’t that feel great!?!” she joyfully cries as I collapse on the floor.

6:50 Cheryl jumps up to show me a new exercise. She does something perfectly impossible like balancing on one foot on a bosu ball while doing a sit up with a barbell. I say, “I can’t do that!” and then she makes me do it. It is ugly but it gets done.

7:00 We talk about anything, anything at all, to get my mind off the pain.

7: 30 Suddenly – after 60 minutes of pure hell – Suddenly I am done. I feel calm. All the stuff that was stressing me out the day before is forgotten. I am overcome with love and gratitude towards Cheryl. I leave her home peaceful and weak. Too weak to get worked up about anything.

To look at me you can’t tell I am a weightlifting muscle woman. But my whole physical life has changed thanks to Cheryl. I am strong and I have stamina. My diet has improved because I feel like taking care of myself. I won’t be a sexy swimsuit model this summer, but I will be able to hike, raft, bike and ride horses for hours. Besides, I am starting to feel like a sexy swimsuit model on the inside. Thanks Cheryl.




7 comments:

Holly said...

Good for you! It sounds like fun! :)

Kimberly said...

Good job Robin! I seriously dread working out. I have to drag myself to the gym on my lunch break, but I feel so good when I'm done.

Sally said...

I wish I had a Cheryl. I know how much you appreciate her. This was a great post.

R A C H A E L said...

Robin! You are an great writer! I loved reading your blog!!

Berly said...

Your workout rundown seems like a ton of fun(ha-ha)How great for you to be doing this and it will help you a ton this summer with all of the fun activities. Keep up the good work!!!

Emily said...

HANG IN THERE! You make me laugh by your descriptions, you also inspire me.

Anonymous said...

Uhgg! That made me tired, and I think a little sore to read that!

I am so super impressed that you are doing this! I tried to find a cheryl in Boise/meridian, but apparently if you want one you have to go to their "Muscle Man Steroid Protein Load Gym". okay, that didn't make sense. I want a cheryl who will come to my house until I am eventually habituated to exercise enough that I can motivate myself to go to their house or the gym.

I want a Cheryl.
-KK